Monday, April 26, 2010

This is Amber. I have known her since she started the baby room at Bethel Wee Care. She is amazing! She has always been a princess...doesn't like change...and has her Daddy right where she wants him. But she looks and acts....just like her mother. Jessica lost her battle with cancer when Amber was in 1st grade......but she fought as long as she could. I have never met anyone like her. She was NEVER going to admit defeat and right up until the end...she still believed God could heal her.....and he did. ....just not the way we had hoped. I taught Amber in kindergarten and that year I watched Jessica's battle grow bigger and bigger....but she will always be victorious in my eyes. For several weeks, every Friday she came and taught Jr. Achievement in my classroom. It didn't matter if she vomited all night from the chemo. It didn't matter if she was so weak she had to stop several times before she could make it down the hall....every Friday no matter what she came....sat in my rocking chair and talked and read to those babies. I couldn't tell you anything she taught them about Jr. Achievement...but they learned so much more than that. They learned about cancer and chemo..because they asked. They learned that people were beautiful with or without hair...because she was....they learned that you fight! I learned it all too. Jessica DeRamus will always be amazing in my eyes....and she lives through Amber:)

3 comments:

Brandy said...

Meg, each new post amazes me with your spirit, kindness, thoughtfulness, selflessness, and love for everyone! You are an excellent writer. You write from the heart and I can totally hear your voice when I read your entries! I miss you bunches and can't wait until NYC! Love ya girl! BTW- I can't believe how old Amber has gotten. She is beautiful!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Wow! Amber sure has grown up! I kept her in the nursery during lunch.