Saturday, December 15, 2012

My heart has been very burdened by the most recent school shooting in an elementary school. Every year we practice an intruder drill....we lock our doors and sit quietly and all the while...it never crosses my mind that this would actual happen at my school...I teach kindergarten...not high school. All that changed yesterday. While me and my babies were having a Christmas party...the news was covered up with a school shooting....kindergartners....babies....just like mine. Teachers actually had to hide those sweet babies from a shooter...they had to get them to safety...they had to tell them to be quiet as they heard gunshots...they had to remain calm themselves while experiencing something so terrifying....I cannot wrap my mind around how this could happen....why would anyone want to kill all those babies? I'll never understand it...and the words intruder drill will mean more to me now than ever before. Open doors and adults without visitor passes will catch my eye quicker. Angry parents will haunt me. I will not only be changed at school...but I will think twice bfore leaving my house mad...frustrated becaue we are late....frazzled due to bad mornings...I will try to slow it down...be sure we all leave with "I love you"...and hugs & kisses. My 4 year old climbing in the bed and stealing my pillow at 2am doesnt seem so bothersome anymore...as a matter of fact it allowed me to hold him all night last night...thankful he was laying beside me....not in a school building waiting to be identified. I'll never understand why things happen like they did in CT  yesterday, but I know we serve a KING who can fix all things...heal all those who are hurting, and give peace to those who cry out for it. I am so thankful to have Jesus in my life and pray for those trying to get through this who do not know him. I pray we are all changed by this event.....I pray we all lean more  on HIM.

0 comments: