Sunday, October 4, 2009

Farewell

We have had quite a weekend. It has been one of excitement & anticipation as Lucy will be arriving tomorrow & also one of sadness as we say goodbye. My great Uncle Gettys has been sick for a lil while & we have recently learned that in order to survive longer he will need dialysis. He has decided it is not what he wants and he is ready to "go home." Uncle Gettys & Aunt Evelyn were like 2nd parents to my Dad & therefore like 2nd grrandparents to us. They have lived across the street from me since i was born. when I was sick & stayed home...aunt Evelyn always came down with food....and checked in on me....every holiday she came with plates of treats! Everytime you would go visit...Gettys had candy & a story to tell or you just sat & watched him sleep in the chair by the door. There weren't rules in their house...we could rip & tear through like wild indians & they just loved that we came to visit. Precious people! Losing Aunt Evelyn 7 years ago was so terrible & now he'll go and be with her. Aunt Evelyn had Alzheimer's and during that time I got to see what an amazing man Gettys was. He was wonderful to her & took care of her...brushed her hair...rubbed her feet...everything right up until the very end. He loved her with all his heart & he has missed her so much since the day she left.....she was his "Sis" as he called her. Almost every story my dad tells is wrapped up in them. Yesterday we went to visit one last time. He was having a good day & was just as sweet as ever. Today my lil sis Tess took my Papaw & Mamaw to see him. Gettys is not only Papaw's brother-in-law...but his best and oldest friend. She said they talked & cried and in the end Gettys said "I'll be talkin to you..." and Papaw said" I'll see you soon." The next few days will be hard on his family...his daughters...his grandchildren...great grandchildren....please pray for them...please pray for our families. He will be missed.....but all I can think about is how happy he'll be to see her again. What a moment.....
He is a good man...honorable...hard working...loving...rare.
Pray for God to take him peacefully....painlessly......thank you.

Also pray for Brooke & Josh tomorrow as they become parents. I will update soon.

2 comments:

Brandy said...

Meg, I am praying for your family. I am in tears to read your sweet words. They sound like such a sweet couple and it will be amazing for them to be together again. I can't wait to see photos of the baby! Hugs to you all!!!

Trace Car Driver said...

awe. it does sound like he will be missed but how sweet that he will join his loving wife and jesus!

AND yay for lucy... can't wait to see pics and hear the story. HOW EXCITING!!!